COVID-19 Resources and Volunteerism
United Way California Capital Region (UWCCR) is responding to the Coronavirus COVID-19 health emergency crisis in a variety of ways to ensure the health and safety of our staff and community programs. UWCCR is also monitoring information provided on COVID-19 provided by the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), California Department of Public Health, Sacramento County Public Health, Yolo County Health and Human Services, Amador County Public Health, El Dorado Health and Human Services, and Placer County Public Health.
Guidelines and Precautions:
During this time, it is important to follow the health guidelines.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Avoid shaking hands (physical contact) with others.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Wear cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (recommendation).
Ways To Help:
As we follow guidelines to social distance, there are a plethora of ways to help and make an impact - check in on your neighbors, especially anyone who may live alone, anyone elderly or potentially vulnerable. Contact them safely to let them know that you are available and can assist with basic needs such as grocery shopping, taking trash out on scheduled days, walk their pets, or pick up medication. The offfer to connect will also ease anxiety and prevent feelings of loneliness and isolation. These acts of kindness will make a difference.
There are organizations in our region that are open and in need of donations and volunteers:
- Sacramento Food Bank - Volunteers to sort donations, package food, and bag produce
- Yolo Food Bank - Volunteers to assist with food distribution
- Salvation Army - Volunteers to serve food and pack boxes, etc.
- Elk Grove Food Bank - Volunteers to assist in clothing closet as well as packing food boxes to assist with mobile distribution
- River City Food Bank - Volunteers to assist with food distribution
- Woodland Food Closet - Volunteers to pack emergency grocery bags
- G7 Thy Presence's School of Faith Ministries - Volunteers to assist with food distribution
- Potter's House Church - Volunteers to assist with food distribution
- American Red Cross - Volunteers are asked to schedule blood donations, if able to
- Vitalant - Volunteers are asked to schedule blood donations, if able to
- 2-1-1 Sacramento - Volunteer undergo brief training and will work side by side with 2-1-1 staff while responding to calls and providing information to public
- Sacramento Self-Help Housing - In need of donations (toiletries, cleaning supplies, canned and dry food) and volunteers to deliver to community in need
- Sacramento Loaves and Fishes - In need of donations (hygiene items, sleeping bags, tarps, etc.)
- UC Davis - In need of new and unused Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and supplies
- Snowline Hospice - Accepting home-made masks and PPE (personal protective equipment) at locations in Diamond Springs and Sacramento
- Koinonia Family Services - In need of paper goods and "limited purchase items" such as milk and eggs at teen homes in Loomis (5980 Webb St)
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Sacramento - In need of supplies and donations to make "Club on the Go" kits for kids
- Neighborhood Wellness Foundation - Donations needed for families in local neighborhoods
- VA Norcal - In need of mask donations to keep Veterans and staff safe
- Sacramento County - Volunteers collect urgent medical donations at Sacramento County Warehouse
- Fruitridge Community Collaborative - Requesting donations to support "95820 Food Project" that will support up to 200 families in the neighborhood
- Stand Up Placer - Requesting donations (self-care kits, yoga masks, masks)
- Snowline Hospice - Requesting letters from all 50 states to spread cheer and joy to hospice patients.
- #CaliforniansForAll - Want to get involved but not sure how or where to start, fill out this form.
If you have any questions, please contact Diana Vo, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.